Sunday, February 09, 2014

S24O - or art of simpler bike travel

Some time ago I discovered "S24O" - Sub 24 hour Overnight camping and the concept stuck with me.  Most of us today don't have the resources or time to embark on an overland adventure or multi continent travel.  As much as we wish to be able to throw everything away and just cast off into the ocean of unknown to discover this world of ours as well as in the process of discovering our self, financial, society and sometime moral obligations are not working in our favor.  However do not despair, now there is a solution even for the rest of us mortals — there is S24O!!
First time I ever came across the terminology was by visiting Rivendell Bicycle Works website, personally I believe that Rivendell Crew has coined up the term themselves, but that has not been confirmed.
S24O allows us to satisfy our craving for open road and adventure on a smaller scale that it doesn't require large funds and endless preparations.
My Crew and My self are well experienced campers, backpackers and bike commuters so it is almost natural progression of things to try and see how this "new" concept will work for us.
Since the perfect opportunity has risen, in the form of several of our birthdays coming up, unseasonably warm and dry weather in Northern California and multiple potential location for simple locale overnight camping within reach of Bay Area Transit organisations we decided to just try it.
After several meetings at Cremá Coffee Roasting Company, pouring over local, City, County & Regional Parks our final destination was selected.  Date set,  camp reservations made, pending weather staying as dry as it is currently we are good to go.
Our intent is to utilized Public Transit to get as close as possible to our final destination, and then to ride our bikes to the camp site.  We will spend a night celebrating our birthdays, and then we will head back home the next day.
Now the Only thing left is packing this Gypsy Caravan and casting off.... Well, that is the part I will be writing about in my up coming posts.



Coffee and research material



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous16/3/14 21:37

    So, where did you end up going ? I am taking delivery of my new all-arounder bike in a few weeks time and am looking forward to my first s24o. I may go to Castle Rock trail camp first, just to do a shake down. I am having some difficulty locating routes with enough gravel road to satisfy. Any suggestions ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to unpredictable nature of our life, we have not done any S24O yet. However there are several locations that we have considered: Lake Del Vally Regional Park, Anthony Chabot Regional Park etc. Keep an eye on Us and I will be updating this blog with any and all of our adventures.
      Also take look at "Pedal Inn" blog ,they were my source of ideas.

      Delete